|Title||Soldier and baby on parade ground, Fort Rice, Dakota Territory |
|Date of Original||1868? |
|Creator||Morrow, Stanley J.|
|Creator Role||Photographer |
|Description||Captain George W. Hill in uniform standing with infant and baby carriage on the parade grounds at Fort Rice. Barracks buildings are in the background. |
|Ordering Information||http://history.nd.gov/archives/whatphotos.html |
|General Subject||Historic sites|
|Subject (LCTGM)||Baby carriages|
|Personal Name||Hill, George W.|
Hill, George W. C.
|Organization Name||United States. Army|
|Location||Fort Rice (Fort Rice, N.D.)|
|Item Number||A1574 |
|Format of Original||Stereographs|
|Transcription||"Parade Fround of Fort Rice, Dakota Ter., in 1868. (See back)"--Handwritten on front of stereograph.|
"Captain George W. Hill, 31st Regt., U.S. Infantry. He was in the 22nd Infantry from May 1869 until 1871. This photograph was taken at Fort Rice, Dakota Territoty, probably in 1868 or 1869 by Morrow, a photographer from Yankton. The baby is George W.C. Hill, who became a Congregational minister (ordained in 1895) and in 1913 became pastor of the South Congregational Church of New Britain, Connecticut, which in 1919 had nearly 1400 members."--Handwritten on back of stereograph.
Title created by staff.
|Biography/History||Fort Rice was established in 1864 by General Alfred Sully to supply his campaign into western Dakota and to protect traffic on the Missouri River, a function the fort continued until replaced by Fort Yates in 1877. |
|Bibliographic Reference||Wick, Douglas A. North Dakota Place Names. Sweetgrass Communications, Bismarck, ND: 1989. 68-69. |
|Repository Institution||State Historical Society of North Dakota|
|Repository Collection||State Historical Society of North Dakota Photograph Collection A|
|Credit Line||State Historical Society of North Dakota (A1574) |
|Rights Management||Copyright status unknown. |
|Digital ID||shA1574 |