Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Knights of Columbus Building, 222-224 Broadway, Fargo, N.D.
Knights of Columbus Building, 222-224 Broadway, Fargo, N.D.
TitleKnights of Columbus Building, 222-224 Broadway, Fargo, N.D.
Date of Original1909
CreatorOlson, W. O.
Creator RolePhotographer
DescriptionThree story Classical Revival style brick building with flag flying from pole on top of building. Sign over the awning on the ground level of the building states "222 Broadway Department Store 224". Nameplate on building states "Knights of Columbus". There is an elaborate brick parapet with a center cartouche in carved stone, and topped with two finials.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectSocial Life & Customs
Business & Industry
Subject (LCTGM)Fraternal lodges
Department stores
Commercial facilities
Flags
Cartouches
Finials
Organization NameKnights of Columbus
Broadway Department Store (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
AddressFargo (N.D.) - Broadway
Fargo (N.D.) - Broadway - 200 block
Decade1900-1909
Item Number2006.15.29
Format of OriginalGelatin silver prints
Photographic postcards
Dimensions of Original14 x 9 cm.
Publisher of OriginalOlson, W. O.
Transcription"605. Knights of Columbus Bldg, Fargo, N. Dak. copyright 1909 by W. O. Olson" -printed on bottom of postcard.
NotesTitle supplied by staff.
Biography/HistoryThe Broadway Department Store pictured at right on a 1909 postcard, was located at 222-224 Broadway, in the Knights of Columbus Building. This must have been a short lived business, as construction of the building was completed in 1909. By the 1910-1911 Fargo city directory, an automobile repair business called E.M.F. Company was listed at the address. The Knights of Columbus met in the upper floors and leased the ground floor as commercial space. After the E.M.F. Company, other businesses that used the commercial space were, Fred W. Krause Co, and the Hughes Store. The building was destroyed by fire on October 12, 1948.
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, Institute for Regional Studies
Repository CollectionJohn Caron's Fargo, N.D. Photograph Collection 2006
Collection Finding AidConsult: http://hdl.handle.net/10365/936
Credit LineInstitute for Regional Studies, NDSU, Fargo (2006.15.29)
Languageeng
Digital IDrs007318
Original SourcePostcard
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^