Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Hotel Dacotah, Fargo, N.D.
Hotel Dacotah, Fargo, N.D.
TitleHotel Dacotah, Fargo, N.D.
Date of Original1972-05
DescriptionThree story brick hotel building with false facade mounted on front of structure. Sign on top of building states "Hotel Dacotah". An automobile is parked in front of the building.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectBusiness & Industry
Subject (LCTGM)Hotels
Commercial facilities
Department stores
Automobiles
Organization NameHotel Dacotah (Fargo, N.D.)
J. C. Penney Co.
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
AddressFargo (N.D.) - Broadway
Fargo (N.D.) - Broadway - 0-25 block
Decade1970-1979
Item Number2051.10.1
Format of OriginalGelatin silver prints
Dimensions of Original13 x 9 cm.
Transcription"Street No.: 1, 3 Broadway; Original owner: James Kennedy; Original use: Hotel; Present use: Hotel and department store; Construction: Brick; No. of stories: 4 on the south, 2 on the north. Name Dakota Hotel; Builder: James Kennedy; Notable Features, Historical significance and description: In 1914 Pennys moved into the hotel lobby. In 1960 they expanded into the S& L building next door to the north. In 1962 25 feet were added to that. The original hotel building is still used for a hotel on the second thru fourth floors. Physical condition of structure: Sound. Published sources (Author, title, pages), interviews, records, photos, etc.: Thomas L. Powers from the Powers Hotel. Paul A. Greving --- the owner. Date of survey: May 1972; Name and address of recorder: Karen May, NDSU." - typed on paper affixed to photograph.
NotesTitle supplied by staff.
Photographer unknown.
Biography/HistoryThe Dacotah Hotel was started in 1914 by Mr. and Mrs. William John Prescott. In 1917 the hotel was sold to Clarence and Marion Dahl. They operated the hotel until the late 1940s when it was sold to Mamie Swanson. In 1962, Elnor and Bertha Evenson bought the hotel. Elnor died in 1966, and Bertha continued to operate the hotel until 1975, when it was taken over by W. E. Rasmussen. Rasmussen was forced to close the hotel due to the high cost of heating. By the time it closed its 40 rooms were occupied by lower-income residents. The last occupants moved out on October 1, 1979. On June 24, 1980, the building was demolished for a parking lot.
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, Institute for Regional Studies
Repository CollectionFargo Historic Building Survey Photograph Collection 2051
Credit LineInstitute for Regional Studies, NDSU, Fargo (2051.10.1)
Languageeng
Digital IDrs007298
Original SourcePhotograph
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^