Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Henry Hector House
Henry Hector House
TitleHenry Hector House
Date of Original193-?
DescriptionSmall one story house with lap siding removed exposing log timbers. Three wooden posts are visible at angles supporting the walls of the house. A workman is visible in the lower left corner of the image.
Ordering InformationConsult:
General SubjectLandmarks
Pioneer Era
Subject (LCTGM)Houses
Log buildings
Personal NameHector, Henry Martin, 1861-1940
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
AddressFargo (N.D.) - 4th Street S.
Fargo (N.D.) - 4th Street S. - 100 block
Item Number1942.4.2
Format of OriginalGelatin silver prints
Dimensions of Original12 x 17 cm.
Transcription"Here is the first home in Fargo. It was built in 1870 by Harry Moore, a deputy sheriff, from logs and timbers cut from the original site, one which the house still is located. Moore sold the house to Charles E. Joslin, pioneer attorney, who on Nov. 30, 1892 sold it to Henry and Mary Hector, present owners who have resided in it since. The old logs which may be seen were exposed to the light for the first time in many years recently when a lean-to was removed in order to dig a new basement under the structure. Located on original site at 119 - Fourth Street S." - typed and handwritten on paper affixed to back of photograph.
NotesTitle supplied by staff.
Photographer unknown.
Biography/HistoryA. H. (Harry) Moore, a native of Wisconsin, came to what is now the site of Fargo in 1869 to homestead. He built a log house (with the aid of carpenter George Mann) near what was the slough in present day Island Park. The house was later moved to higher ground at 119 4th Street S. At this site it served as a hotel and a jail. The building was later purchased by Henry Hector and it was home to his family until 1952. In 1939 the Pioneer Daughters of North Dakota formally recognized the structure as Fargo's first wooden house and had a bronze plate affixed to a stone in the front yard. The house was moved in the late 1950s to make way for the new YMCA building. Its new location was 205 23rd Street S. In 1974, it was threatened with demolition, so the Fargo Board of Realtors and Max Moore, grandson of Harry Moore bought the house and donated it to Bonanzaville. It was restored to its original appearance in 1980 by Palmer Forness, and is preserved as Fargo's oldest existing wooden building.
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, Institute for Regional Studies
Repository CollectionNorth Dakota Masonic Grand Lodge Photograph Collection 1942
Collection Finding AidConsult:
Credit LineInstitute for Regional Studies, NDSU, Fargo (1942.4.2)
Digital IDrs007280
Original SourcePhotograph
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^