Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Edwards Block, Fargo, N.D.
Edwards Block, Fargo, N.D.
TitleEdwards Block, Fargo, N.D.
Date of Original1900
DescriptionDiagonal view from across street of the Edwards building on the corner of Broadway and N.P. Avenue. The Edwards building includes a cupola on the corner above the third story with a clock. The business on the corner of the building is the Golden Rule, a dry goods store operated by Elsinger & Co. A banner is hanging on the building stating "All Painting in this building done by Ashelman Bros. & Prescott, 114 Broadway". A campaign banner is hanging over Broadway with American flags, and it states "Republican Headquarters. Protect Sound Money Prosperity. McKinley and Roosevelt". A man and a dog are visible on the street.
Ordering InformationConsult:
General SubjectBusiness & Industry
Politics & Government
Subject (LCTGM)Business districts
Dry goods stores
Clock towers
Commercial streets
Commercial facilities
Campaign headquarters
Political posters
Personal NameMcKinley, William, 1843-1901
Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919
Organization NameEdwards Building (Fargo, N.D.)
Golden Rule (Fargo, N.D.)
Republican Party (U.S. : 1854- )
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
AddressFargo (N.D.) - Broadway
Fargo (N.D.) - Broadway - 0-25 block
Fargo (N.D.) - N.P. Avenue
Fargo (N.D.) - N.P. Avenue - 600 block
Item Number51.7.29
Format of OriginalGelatin silver prints
Copy photographic prints
Dimensions of Original21 x 26 cm.
NotesTitle supplied by staff.
Photographer unknown.
Biography/HistoryThe Edwards Building at 24-26 Broadway was designed by the Hancock Brothers. The corner stone was laid on May 5, 1900, and named for Major A. W. Edwards by Alex Stern, the building owner. The Bowers Brothers were the contractors responsible for the construction. The first building was destroyed by fire on January 9, 1903. A second Edwards Building replaced the destroyed first.
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, Institute for Regional Studies
Repository CollectionFargo, N.D. Photograph Collection 51
Credit LineInstitute for Regional Studies, NDSU, Fargo (51.7.29)
Digital IDrs007174
Original SourcePhotograph
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^