Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
DeSoto Creamery & Produce Co., Grafton, N.D.
DeSoto Creamery & Produce Co., Grafton, N.D.
TitleDeSoto Creamery & Produce Co., Grafton, N.D.
Date of Original192-?
CreatorSalter Studio (Grafton, N.D.)
Creator RolePhotographer
DescriptionView showing several wood frame and brick buildings belonging to the DeSoto Creamery & Produce Company. The two story building on the left has a smokestack, with smoke coming out of it. Also visible is an automobile parked in front of one of the buildings and a sign posted on the front of one of the buildings states "De Soto Cry. & Pro. Co. Cash Buyers. Poultry, Eggs, Butter".
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectBusiness & Industry
Subject (LCTGM)Dairy products industry
Poultry industry
Smokestacks
Smoke
Organization NameDeSoto Creamery & Produce Co. (Grafton, N.D.)
LocationGrafton (N.D.)
Walsh County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
Decade1920-1929
Item Number2101.2.14
Format of OriginalGelatin silver prints
Dimensions of Original18 x 25 cm.
Publisher of OriginalSalter Studio (Grafton, N.D.)
Place of PublicationGrafton (N.D.)
Transcription"This is a picture of the DeSoto Creamery which once was an enterprising business in Grafton. The creamery was built by a Danish man named Belgard about 1915. The creamery was operated by the TriCounty Farmers for a while before it was purchased by the DeSoto Company, a firm working out of Minneapolis and Chicago. Beulah Swenson worked as bookkeeper from May 1925 to the last of May, 1935. Some of the managers were Peterson Bros., Soren Westegard, H. E. Miller, George Mainz, Charles Wichert, and Monroe, a new man from Fargo. They shipped three to four carloads of eggs and butter a week. In the fall they shipped three and four carloads of poultry a week. In November they started to dress turkeys and shipped them out until after the first of the year. They made ice cream in big tubs containing three and four gallons. Later they used insulated canvass bags. In the surrounding towns they promoted poultry days when the farmers brought their produce to market. The creamery ran four trucks to deliver dairy products to the smaller towns and pick up eggs, chickens, turkeys. The truck drivers were Ferdie Bergh (Grafton's well known baseball player), Cal Enger, Chris Helgeson, Steve Donnelly, Homer Miller. George Carlson and Manvel (Tony) Cleveland made city deliveries. Ferdie Bergh later became a buyer for the firm. Oliver Johnson was the ice cream maker; George Torgerson was the butter maker; Victor Johnson and Henry Monson tested the cream upon purchase. Eventually the business was sold to Armour and Co. and later to Luther Williams of the Grafton Milk Company. Eventually the buildings were razed and the lots became a trailer court."- caption with image published in A 100 Year Look At Grafton, North Dakota, 1882-1982, p. 219.
NotesTitle supplied by staff.
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, Institute for Regional Studies
Repository CollectionGrafton, N.D. Photograph Collection 2101
Collection Finding AidConsult: http://hdl.handle.net/10365/8537
Credit LineInstitute for Regional Studies, NDSU, Fargo (2101.2.14)
Languageeng
Digital IDrs006112
Original SourcePhotograph
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^