Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Fargo Theatre, 314 Broadway, Fargo, N.D.
Fargo Theatre, 314 Broadway, Fargo, N.D.
TitleFargo Theatre, 314 Broadway, Fargo, N.D.
Date of Original1926?
CreatorRudd, Rudy (Rudolph Alexander), 1900-1940
Creator RolePhotographer
DescriptionExterior view of the Fargo Theatre with vertical electric sign stating "Fargo", and underneath a marquee advertising "5 acts 5. F and R Vaudeville" and "Norman Ostby and his Note Hawks. Glenn Hunter in 'The Pinch Hitter'". Over the theatre doorway is another sign that reads "Ramon Berry at the Wurlitzer".
Ordering InformationConsult:
General SubjectEntertainment
Subject (LCTGM)Motion picture theaters
Electric signs
Organization NameFargo Theatre (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
AddressFargo (N.D.) - Broadway
Fargo (N.D.) - Broadway - 300 block
Item Number2005.Album2.p84
Format of OriginalGelatin silver prints
Dimensions of Original13 x 8 cm.
NotesTitle supplied by staff.
Photograph mounted in album.
Biography/History"The Fargo Theatre is a two-story concrete and masonry commercial block with a 72-foot frontage on Broadway, Fargo's main commercial street. The front facade, clad in a red face brick, was symmetrical in appearance and sat on a base of limestone, approximately one foot in height. Entrance doors and a box office occupied the center at street level and were flanked by a small storefront shop and a pair of exit doors on each side. Above the exits, stone consoles visually supported cornices, each of which were terminated at the top with a decorative cartouch. The second level is rhythmically articulated by large windows with a vertical four-over-four sash configuration, set deep within brick piers. Here, arched stone hood molding spring from a molded stone impost course and end in highly detailed keystones. Six of the tympanums formed by the arches are infilled with brick in a herringbone pattern while the three in the center are glazed. Directly above, stone dentil work forms a decorative building cornice and the facade is completed in a stepped stone coping. Protruding from the wall between the arches are stone faces with grotesque expressions, their mouths open to accept the hanger rods of the marquee. The original marquee was square, and at sometime was replaced by the existing diagonal version that flows upward to an illuminated sign approximately 36 feet in height." - Text taken from the National Register of Historic Places form.
The Fargo Theatre was built in 1926, and designed by the architecture firm of Buechner and Orth. The building was originally owned by T. F. Power and Peter Elliott, and operated by the St. Paul, Minn. firm of Finkelstein and Ruben. The grand opening took place on March 15, 1926. Early silent movies were accompanied by a Wurlitzer organ. Beside motion pictures, the theatre also accommodated numerous live entertainment, with some notable performers including Babe Ruth, Boris Karloff, Lyle Talbot, Alan Dinehart, Glenda Farrell, Gig Young, Robert Young, and Tim Mix.
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, Institute for Regional Studies
Repository CollectionRudy Rudd Album Collection 2005
Collection Finding AidConsult:
Credit LineInstitute for Regional Studies, NDSU, Fargo (2005.Album2.p84)
Digital IDrs006904
Original SourcePhotograph
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^