Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Walker, Laing and Stone Buildings, 613-621 1st Avenue N., Fargo, N.D.
Walker, Laing and Stone Buildings, 613-621 1st Avenue N., Fargo, N.D.
TitleWalker, Laing and Stone Buildings, 613-621 1st Avenue N., Fargo, N.D.
Date of Original197-?
DescriptionPanoramic photograph showing brick commercial buildings located between 613 and 621 1st Avenue N., Fargo, N.D. Business include Northwest Orient Airlines, Elise's interior design, Gaffaney's, and Schmitt Music Center.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectBusiness & Industry
Subject (LCTGM)Commercial facilities
Interior decoration firms
Music stores
Office equipment & supplies industry
Panoramic photographs
Subject (LCSH)Building, Brick
Organization NameElise's (Fargo, N.D.)
Gaffney's of Fargo, Inc.
Schmitt Music Company
Stone Block (Fargo, N.D.)
Walker Block
Laing Building (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
AddressFargo (N.D.) - 1st Avenue N.
Fargo (N.D.) - 1st Avenue N. - 600 block
Decade1970-1979
Item NumberOversize 2.3
Format of OriginalGelatin silver prints
Dimensions of Original24 x 68 cm.
NotesTitle supplied by staff.
Photographer unknown.
Biography/History"The Walker Block, at 621-23 First Avenue N. was built in 1900-02 for T. J. Walker of Walker and Hardy, one of Fargo's largest printers and binders. The architect was Milton Earl Beebe. Beebe used cream-colored brick and red sandstone trim, with four bays on the front facade, separated by pilasters with red sandstone caps. A brick frieze under molded metal cornice, and name block completed the design. In 1928, the owners hired William F. Kurke to redesign the storefront at the first floor. The Laing building, at 617-19, was designed in 1910 by the Hancock Brothers. It is Classical Revival in design with three bays, red Hebron brick waslls, and egg and dart trim running above the third-story windows. This building is topped with a dentilled metal molded cornice and a name block on the parapet." - Fargo's Heritage, by Norene A. Roberts, p. 56-57.
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, Institute for Regional Studies
Repository CollectionInstitute for Regional Studies Oversize Photograph Collection
Credit LineInstitute for Regional Studies, NDSU, Fargo (Oversize 2.3)
Languageeng
Digital IDrs006632
Original SourcePhotograph
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^