Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Ellsbury's home, Tower City, N.D.
Ellsbury's home, Tower City, N.D.
TitleEllsbury's home, Tower City, N.D.
Date of Original1969-06
CreatorPetersen, Allen J., 1946-
Creator RolePhotographer
DescriptionTwo story wood frame house with corner tower.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectCity & Town Life
Subject (LCTGM)Houses
Towers
Personal NameEllsbury, George H., 1840-1900
LocationTower City (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
Decade1960-1969
Item Number2080.3.4
Negative NumberNeg c35mm-59.11-12
Format of OriginalColor images
Color photographic prints
Dimensions of Original9 x 13 cm.
Transcription"1969 Ellsbury's home Allen Petersen" - handwritten on back of photograph.
NotesTitle supplied by staff.
Biography/History"One of the landmarks of Tower City was the Ellsbury house. George H. Ellsbury built this house for his family during the winter of 1880-1881 at a cost of fifteen hundred dollars. Constructed according to Ellsbury's specifications, the house was originally 18 by 26 by 18 feet. Sometime before 1884, the house expanded to a total of fourteen rooms, nine on the ground floor and five on the second. On the lower level were a parlor, living room, dining room , bedroom, sewing room, milk room and an attached shed. In addition, porches fronted both the north and south sides of the house. The second floor consisted of five bedrooms, one for each of the Ellsbury children. The unique feature of the house was the tower situated on the northwest corner with windows on the north, west and east sides. A square eight by eight feet in size, the tower provided Ellsbury with a place for drawing and for overseeing the growth of the town the he had started in 1879. A flag frequently fluttered from the tower's peak, making it possible for the travellers to spot the house from miles away. After Ellsbury left Tower City in 1888, he sold the house to George Hunt in 1889 who in turn sold it to Lewis Stevens in 1895. Stevens and his descendants retained possession of the building until 1972. On march 31 of that year, the deteriorating and long-unoccupied Ellsbury house was burned by the city of Tower City on the authorization of the current owner Allen Stevens." - taken from the Tower City History, p. 123.
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, Institute for Regional Studies
Repository CollectionTower City History Photograph Collection 2080
Collection Finding AidConsult: http://hdl.handle.net/10365/1179
Credit LineInstitute for Regional Studies, NDSU, Fargo (2080.3.4)
Languageeng
Digital IDrs005817
Original SourcePhotograph
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^