Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Old North bridge weighed down with steam threshing machine engines, looking toward Moorhead, Minn.
Old North bridge weighed down with steam threshing machine engines, looking toward Moorhead, Minn.
TitleOld North bridge weighed down with steam threshing machine engines, looking toward Moorhead, Minn.
Date of Original1897-04-07
CreatorFlaten, O. E. (Ole E.), 1865-1933
Creator RolePhotographer
DescriptionLooking over flooded Red River with between from N.P. Ave. in Fargo in foreground. Steam engines placed on top of bridge to prevent it from going off foundation. Large area of downtown Moorhead visible across river.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectWeather
City & Town Life
Subject (LCTGM)Floods
Bridges
Business districts
Bird's-eye views
Threshing machines
LocationMoorhead (Minn.)
Clay County (Minn.)
Minnesota
United States
Red River of the North
AddressMoorhead (Minn.) - 1st Avenue N.
Moorhead (Minn.) - 1st Avenue N. - 00 block
Moorhead (Minn.) - 1st Avenue N. - 100 block
Moorhead (Minn.) - 1st Street N.
Moorhead (Minn.) - 1st Street N. - 100 block
Decade1890-1899
Item Number328.2.2
Negative NumberNeg.120mm-29.2 (copy neg.)
Format of OriginalGelatin silver prints
Albums
Dimensions of Original20 x 25 cm.
Publisher of OriginalFlaten, O. E. (Ole E.)
Place of PublicationMoorhead (Minn.)
Transcription"This view of the old north bridge, looking towards Moorhead, was taken from the Fargo flour mill. The building in the left with the cupola is the Thos. Erdell saloon, in later years operated by John Haas as the House of Lords. The building on the right is the Midway saloon, then operated by John Haas. During the 1890's Haas operated a wide-open-gambling establishment in the saloon. Both Erdell and Haas were residents of Fargo when North Dakota became a state. Haas was in the saloon business and Erdell was a brewer for the Klinkert brewery in Fargo. The old Point school, now the Hopkins school, can be seen in the distance at the left. Next can be seen St. Joseph's school and then St. Joseph's church. In the distance can be seen the Minneapolis & Northern elevator, now the Farmers Elevator. The next elevator is Elevator 'A', the first steam elevator to be erected in the valley, and was erected by Bruns & Finkle in 1878. In the foreground in front of the elevator can be seen the old steamboat freight house. In the distance at the right can be seen the old Moorhead high school building. The objects on the bridge are steam threshing machine engines, placed there to weight down the bridge." - Identification by James Fay, 1954, and typed on identification sheet.
NotesTitle taken from front of photograph.
Photograph housed in album entitled "Photo Views of Moorhead and Vicinity. By O. E. Flaten".
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, Institute for Regional Studies
Repository CollectionMoorhead, Minn. Photograph Collection 328
Credit LineInstitute for Regional Studies, NDSU, Fargo (328.2.2)
Languageeng
Digital IDrs005725
Original SourcePhotograph
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^