Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Red River as seen from the N.P.RR.
Red River as seen from the N.P.RR.
TitleRed River as seen from the N.P.RR.
Date of Original1879-11-04
CreatorFlaten, O. E. (Ole E.), 1865-1933
Creator RolePhotographer
DescriptionView from the Moorhead side of the Red River at Center Ave., looking north up the river showing a dredge, barges, a steamboat and elevators in the distance. A vehicle bridge is visible in the foreground.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectTransportation
Pioneer Era
Subject (LCTGM)Rivers
Waterfronts
Barges
Steamboats
Dredging
Bridges
Grain elevators
Organization NamePluck (Steamboat)
Grandin Line Elevator A (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationRed River of the North
Fargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
Moorhead (Minn.)
Clay County (Minn.)
Minnesota
United States
Decade1870-1879
Item Number328.2.1
Negative NumberNeg.120mm-29.1.1 (copy neg.)
Format of OriginalGelatin silver prints
Albums
Dimensions of Original17 x 21 cm.
Publisher of OriginalFlaten, O. E. (Ole E.)
Place of PublicationMoorhead (Minn.)
Transcription"This view shows the Moorhead and Fargo steamboat landings, which were located just below the present Center Avenue bridge. The railroad tracks on each side of the river can be seen. The old vehicle bridge was located just about where the Center Avenue bridge is located. The old vehicle bridge was the only vehicle bridge across the river in 1879, the old north and south bridges not being constructed until 1883. The Grandin Elevator was the property of the Grandin Farm and was erected in 1878. During the flood of 1897 it was feared that the Grandin elevator which was located just above the north bridge, might be carried down stream and take out the north bridge. The elevator was tied with heavy ropes to large trees close by. When the elevator floated up off its foundation it was thought that it might break loose. Then the elevator was set on fire by the authorities in the hope that it would burn to the level of the water. The ropes burned and the flaming elevator floated down to the bridge, setting the plank floor of the bridge on fire. The fire department put out the fire and the elevator was forced under the bridge. This occurred in early April of 1897--Identification of photograph by James Fay, 1954, filed with album.--The elevator in the background was erected in 1879 by George S. Barnes and Lyman H. Tenney, pioneers of Glyndon, Minn. The elevator burned down about 1910" - Identification by James Fay, 1954, and typed on identification sheet.
NotesTitle taken from front of photograph.
Photograph housed in album entitled "Photo Views of Moorhead and Vicinity. By O. E. Flaten".
Original negative at: Clay County Historical Society, 202 1st Ave. N., Moorhead, Minn. 56560.
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, Institute for Regional Studies
Repository CollectionMoorhead, Minn. Photograph Collection 328
Credit LineInstitute for Regional Studies, NDSU, Fargo (328.2.1)
Languageeng
Digital IDrs005724
Original SourcePhotograph
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^