Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
M.C.Gerold Apartments, Fargo, N.D.
M.C.Gerold Apartments, Fargo, N.D.
TitleM.C.Gerold Apartments, Fargo, N.D.
Date of Original1972-05
DescriptionView of two story Classical Revival style building. The entrance and second story center windows flanked by columns. "1893" visible in the pediment over the second story. Arched window over the doorway has "M.C. Gerold Apartments 1002" painted on it. A barber poll is visible by the front door. A sign on the left side of the building states "Moved 4 blocks west to 1425 Main Ave. Western Products, Fargo Window Co., Eagle Roofing Co., Builders Supply". Building sided in pressed metal.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectCity & Town Life
Art & Architecture
Subject (LCTGM)Metalwork
Apartment houses
Barber poles
Subject (AAT)Classical Revival
Organization NameGerold Apartments (Fargo, N.D.)
Fargo Cornice and Ornament Co. (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
AddressFargo (N.D.) - Main Avenue
Fargo (N.D.) - Main Avenue - 1000 block
Decade1970-1979
Item Number2051.12.3
Format of OriginalGelatin silver prints
Dimensions of Original9 x 13 cm.
Transcription"Street No.: 1002 Main Ave., Original Owner: McGerold?, Present Use: Apartments & Comerical. No. of Stories: 2. Name: McGerold Apartments. Date: 1893. Style: Greek Revival. Notable features, historic significance and description: Interesting facade, pressed metal exterior siding. Physical condition of structure: good. Date of survey: May 72" - typed on paper attached to photograph.
NotesTitle supplied by staff.
Photographer unknown.
Biography/History"Fargo Cornice & Ornament Works, 1002 Main Avenue 1892. The Rusk Brothers, manufacturers of the Rusk Auto House (28), were guided in the design of their headquarters by the Columbian Exposition's revival of Classical forms and ornament. This was meant to be a building as well as an advertisement of their product's versatility: the entire exterior is covered with pressed metal. An eagle which once graced the corner was removed some years ago." - caption with image published in Fargo-Moorhead a guide to historic architecture, by Ronald Lanier Ramsey. 1975, p. 51.
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, Institute for Regional Studies
Repository CollectionFargo Historic Building Survey Photograph Collection 2051
Credit LineInstitute for Regional Studies, NDSU, Fargo (2051.12.3)
Languageeng
Digital IDrs005226
Original SourcePhotograph
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^