Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Public Library, Mayville, N.Dak.
Public Library, Mayville, N.Dak.
TitlePublic Library, Mayville, N.Dak.
Date of Original1907-1908
DescriptionFront of one story brick and stone library with raised basement and dome in center of roof.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectEducation
Social Life & Customs
Subject (LCTGM)Public libraries
Organization NameNational Register of Historic Places
Mayville Public Library (Mayville, N.D.)
LocationMayville (N.D.)
Traill County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
Decade1900-1909
Item Number2000.330.48
Format of OriginalGelatin silver prints
Photographic postcards
Dimensions of Original9 x 14 cm.
Transcription"Compliments from S.G.S., Mayville." and addressed to Mr. H.B. Sigurdson, Edinburg, N.D., postmarked at Mayville Jan. 8, 1909.
Biography/HistoryThe library was the gift of J.L. and E.B. Grandin, Pennsylvania natives who in the 1870s acquired 75, 000 acres of government land grants in the Red River Valley in exchange for bonds of the bankruupt Northern Pacific Railway. In 1878 the Grandin brothers introduced bonanza (large-scale mechanized) wheat farming on their holdings around Mayville, with the breeding of superior draft horses and shorthorn cattle also being an integral part of the enterprise. The Grandins first donated $5000 for a library for Mayville but contributed $3000 more when architect William C. Albrant of Fargo determined that a minimum of $6700 would be required to build his design. The benefactors also provided $1000 for the purchase of books, which was supplemented by $2300 from the townspeople. The latter also purchased the site at the southeast corner of Center Avenue North and First Street Northwest. Local craftsmen employed on the project included Harry and George Gummer (father and son), who dug the basement and hauled gravel and stones for the foundation. Frank Leslie and Ludvig G. Nelson, masons; and Gulbrand Halverson, carpenter. The cornerstone was laid June 23, 1900, and work continued through the following February, at which time the lawn was graded, sodded, and sown, sidewalks constructed, and the facility formally opened to the public." - National Register of Historic Places nomination form, p. 8.
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, Institute for Regional Studies
Repository CollectionRonald Olin North Dakota Postcard Collection 2000
Collection Finding AidConsult: http://hdl.handle.net/10365/1115
Credit LineInstitute for Regional Studies, NDSU, Fargo (2000.330.48)
Languageeng
Digital IDrs004044
Original SourcePostcard
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^