Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Walter B. Hancock portrait
Walter B. Hancock portrait
TitleWalter B. Hancock portrait
Date of Original190-
CreatorSwem, Thomas M., 1848-1941
Creator RolePhotographer
DescriptionFormal portrait of Hancock wearing suit.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectPeople
Subject (LCTGM)Men
Portraits
Architects
Personal NameHancock, Walter B., 1863-1929
Organization NameHancock Bros. (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
Decade1900-1909
Item NumberMss 296.33.40
Format of OriginalGelatin silver prints
Dimensions of Original28 x 18 cm.
Publisher of OriginalSwem (Fargo, N.D.)
Place of PublicationFargo (N.D.)
NotesTitle supplied by staff.
Biography/HistoryWalter Benjamin Hancock was born September 5, 1863, in Gloucestershire, England. He came to Fargo in 1882 to work for his brother, architect George Hancock. Several years later Mr. Hancock went to Syracuse University, where he graduated with a degree in architecture in 1889. He then returned to Fargo and practiced with his brother in the Hancock Brothers firm until George's death in 1924. The brothers were among North Dakota's leading architects and designed such buildings in Fargo as the Masonic block, the Island Park bandstand, First Congregational Church, Gethsemane Episcopal Cathedral, and McKinley and Washington schools. They also designed Old Main, Ceres Hall, and Festival Hall on the campus of North Dakota State University. Mr. Hancock was a director of the Dakota National Bank and the Northern and Dakota Trust Company. He was a member of the American Institute of Architects, Dakota National Guard, Commons Club, Country Club, Century Club, and several other social clubs. He also was a member of the Shiloh Masonic Lodge, Keystone chapter of the Auvergne Commandery. On October 17, 1895, he married Augusta LaVerna Douglass, a teacher in Fargo. She was born to Mr. and Mrs. Harrison Douglass in Olmsted County, Minnesota, on June 13, 1865. The Hancocks had no children but raised a foster son, Edward. They were members of the Gethsemane Episcopal Cathedral. Mr. Hancock died November 23, 1929, and Mrs. Hancock died December 24, 1955. They were buried at Riverside Cemetery in Fargo.
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, Institute for Regional Studies
Repository CollectionMyrtle Porterville Photograph Collection Mss 296
Collection Finding AidConsult: http://hdl.handle.net/10365/1131
Credit LineInstitute for Regional Studies, NDSU, Fargo (Mss 296.33.40)
Languageeng
Digital IDrs002758
Original SourcePhotographic print
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^