Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan down Pan up Pan left Pan right Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Botanical Laboratory, Old Main, North Dakota Agricultural College
Botanical Laboratory, Old Main, North Dakota Agricultural College
TitleBotanical Laboratory, Old Main, North Dakota Agricultural College
Date of Original189-
CreatorBolley, Henry Luke, 1865-1956
Creator RolePhotographer;
DescriptionPartial view of the botanical laboratory in Old Main. Shelves with specimens and books are visible on the wall, with a curtain opened to reveal the shelves. A pen in an ink well is on one of the desks and a microscope is on the other desk.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectColleges & Universities
Subject (LCTGM)Laboratories
Shelving
Specimens
Chairs
Desks
Microscopes
Draperies
Interiors
Organization NameNorth Dakota State University - Buildings
North Dakota State University - Classrooms
Old Main (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
Decade1890-1899
Item NumberBol.32.5
Format of OriginalPhotographic prints
Dimensions of Original10 x 12 cm.
Place of PublicationFargo (N.D.)
Transcription"Views in botanical laboratory in main building, now occupied by Registrar Parrott."
NotesTitle supplied by staff.
Biography/HistoryThe first permanent building on the North Dakota Agricultural College (NDAC) campus was College Hall, also called the Administration Building, but more commonly known as Old Main. In February 1891, the North Dakota State Legislature appropriated $25, 000 to erect the structure. Construction of the lower levels were completed by the end of 1891 and on January 3, 1892, the institution opened its regular work in its permanent home, and enrolled 123 students for the term. The lower floor of the building was utilized by the chemical department, as well as containing recitation and work rooms of the biological department, and storage and toilet rooms. The main floor contained the general offices of the college and the experiment station, library and reading room, fireproof vaults, and laboratories and offices of the botanical and veterinary departments. The entire first and second floors were finished in quartered oak. The second floor contained a large auditorium capable of seating 200 people, and the recitation, apparatus and laboratory rooms of the mathematical and physical departments. The third floor was unfinished, but it was put to use as a gymnasium; with boxing, wrestling, and "tug-of-war" as popular forms of exercise, where students and faculty met in many friendly contests. Today, Old Main still houses the President's office in the tower room, as well as the Office of the VP for Academic Affairs, the VP for Business and Finances, the VP for Student Affairs, the Graduate School and numerous other administrative offices. If you get the chance to lift the ceiling tiles in one section of the Graduate School, the facade of the front of the old Little Country Theatre is still there, probably as it was on the day of its last performance. Architectural Information:"Richardson Romanesque; 2 1/2 stories with raised basement; buff brick with base and trim of Duluth brownstone; clock tower/turret at the southeast corner; recessed triple-arched main entrance arcade facing south. Hancock Brothers, architects." (National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form, Summer 1982, p.3)
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, University Archives
Repository CollectionH.L. Bolley Photography Collection
Collection Finding AidConsult: http://hdl.handle.net/10365/4766
Credit LineUniversity Archives, NDSU, Fargo (Bol. 32.5)
Languageeng;
Digital IDbo000129
Original SourcePhotographic Print
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^