Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Students between classes, Winter, North Dakota Agricultural College
Students between classes, Winter, North Dakota Agricultural College
TitleStudents between classes, Winter, North Dakota Agricultural College
Date of Originalc.1907
CreatorBolley, Henry Luke, 1865-1956
Creator RolePhotographer;
DescriptionStudents walking to class during thewinter. Snow is visible on the ground. In the backgrounnd to the right is Mechanic Arts building.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectColleges & Universities
Subject (LCTGM)Students
Walking
Snow
Coats
Buildings
Organization NameNorth Dakota State University - Buildings
North Dakota State University - Students
Mechanic Arts (Fargo, N.D.)
North Dakota State University - Grounds
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
Decade1900-1909
Item NumberBol.28.4
Negative NumberNeg. 4x6-28b
Format of OriginalFilm negatives
Dimensions of Original14 x 10 cm.
Place of PublicationFargo (N.D.)
Transcription"Snow and students, about 1907."
NotesTitle supplied by staff.
Biography/HistoryThe Mechanic Arts Building was built in 1893-94 as part of an appropriation from the state of North Dakota. The first floor of the building was arranged to be used for offices, recitation, drawing and laboratory rooms for work in physics, as well as shops for wood work, machine work, and blacksmithing. The second floor of the building contained a large hall which was used as a drill hall by the Military Department. In 1899, just under $4, 000 was appropriated for a small addition to the Mechanic Arts Building. The addition, 24x32 feet, was equipped with anvils, forges, tools, and a steam blower to give instruction in blacksmithing. In 1901 the need was great for a larger forge shop, so the old one was taken down and a new one erected. The new addition, 44x68 feet in size, contained 40 down draft Buffalo forges. In connection with the forge shop, a two-story addition of 40x50 feet was added. The first floor of this addition was used for steam engines and the second floor for a lecture room. Over the years, many additions were built to the Mechanic Arts Building as space was needed. In 1908 the building covered a floor space of 14, 500 sq. ft.; in 1910 the building covered 16, 000 sq. ft.; in 1919 it covered 19, 000 sq. ft.; and by 1928 it covered over 26, 000 sq. ft. As of 1947 the building was slated for demolition, due to its poor condition. However, this did not stop the building from being used. In the 1960s, the Computer Center housed their administrative offices, academic services, and user consultant offices in the building. In 1972 a room on the first floor was condemned because the room's roof caved in at one time. It later became a storage room, and a metal strap [the infamous metal band-aid] served to keep the roof up. In approximately 1975, engineers went through the building and highly recommended no more money be spent on its maintenance. By 1986 the building's second floor was setting, causing the windows to seal improperly In 1990, NDSU's vice president for finance, H.D. Stockman, said "the only thing keeping it (the Mechanic Arts Building) up is the lack of (a new) Computer Center." With the construction of the Industrial Agriculture and Communications Center (IACC), the Mechanic Arts Building was torn down in March 1993. Architectural Information" "Simplified Rectilinear; two stories; yellow brick, jack-arch window lintels, bellcast deeply overhung roof, symmerical facade, recessed entrance facing southwest. Orff and Joralemon, architects." (National Register of Historic Places Inventory, Nomination Form, Summer 1982, p.3
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, University Archives
Repository CollectionH.L. Bolley Photography Collection
Collection Finding AidConsult: http://hdl.handle.net/10365/4766
Credit LineUniversity Archives, NDSU, Fargo (Bol. 28.4)
Languageeng;
Digital IDbo000095
Original SourceNegative
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^