Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan down Pan up Pan left Pan right Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
St. Luke's Nursing class of 1916, Fargo, N.D.
St. Luke's Nursing class of 1916, Fargo, N.D.
TitleSt. Luke's Nursing class of 1916, Fargo, N.D.
Date of Original1916
DescriptionSeven women standing in a line from shortest to tallest posing for a studio head shot portrait. They all have white hats on, collared shirts and aprons.
General SubjectHealth & Medicine
Education
Portraits
Subject (LCTGM)Women
Nurses
Group portraits
Personal NameMuns, Mabel
Mickelson, Annie
Monaghan, Isabella
Grande, Clara
Ulseth, Ragna
Hagen, Hilda
Bjorneby, Ruth
Organization NameSt. Luke's Hospital (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
Decade1910-1919
Item NumberS4975.5135.12.8
Format of OriginalPhotographic prints
Dimensions of Original6 x 16 cm.
Transcription"Class of 1916. Left to Right: Mabel Muns, Annie Mickelson, Isabella Monaghan, Clara Grande, Ragna Ulseth, Hilda Hagen, Ruth Bjorneby"--Handwritten on back of photograph.
NotesTitle supplied by staff.
Photographer unknown.
Biography/HistoryOn February 25, 1908 St. Luke's Hospital opened on North Broadway at Eighth Avenue, Fargo, N.D. Sister Osa Oppendahl of the Deaconesses from the Norwegian Lutheran Church of Chicago was put in charge of the St. Luke's School of Nursing which was started in 1908. The first class graduated from the School of Nursing in 1910. The class consists of three students, Anna McDonald, Hazel Hodgson and Olga Gronley. All had completed one year of training elsewhere before entering St. Luke's program. The first School of Nursing residence, a two-story frame building consisting of 20 rooms plus a bathroom, laundry and full basement was built in 1913. In 1918, a new addition was completed on the east end of the building, doubling the hospital's size. In 1921, the Fargo Clinic opens its doors just north of the hospital.
Repository InstitutionCass County Historical Society
Repository CollectionCass County Historical Society Photography Collection 2070 (Institute for Regional Studies, NDSU, Fargo)
Credit LineCass County Historical Society, Bonanzaville, West Fargo (S4975, 5135, Box 12, Folder 8)
Ordering Informationhttp://www.bonanzaville.org/main.php,
(701) 282-2822
Cass County Historical Society
1351 West Main Ave.
West Fargo, ND 58078
GrantNHPRC SNAP Grant 2008-2009, NAR08-RC-10021-08
Digital IDdm109
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^