Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan up Pan down Pan right Pan left Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Main Street, Mountain, N.D.
Main Street, Mountain, N.D.
TitleMain Street, Mountain, N.D.
Date of Original1912
DescriptionView looking down the main dirt road in Mountain, North Dakota in 1912. There are a few people on the street and sidewalks. On the left are a few storefronts, a church, the Vikur Lutheran Church the oldest Icelandic church in North America, with a steeple, a horse and cart and more buildings, horses, and carts in the distance. On the right is a building that says "Pioneer Drug Co." with a man and children on the small front porch. There are other buildings and utility poles down the road.
General SubjectCity & Town Life
Rural views
Subject (LCTGM)Dirt roads
People
Storefronts
Buildings
Utility poles
Steeples
Carts & wagons
Horses
Churches
Men
Children
Lutheran churches
Organization NamePioneer Drug Company (Mountain, N.D.)
Vikur Lutheran Church (Mountain, N.D.)
LocationMountain (N.D.)
Pembina County (N.D.)
Decade1910-1919
Item NumberPCHS5093
Format of OriginalPhotographic postcards
Albums
Dimensions of Original9 x 14 cm.
TranscriptionPart of the Lily and Rose Benedictson scrapbook - page 11, Album #9, "Album in memory of these prominent pioneers of the mountain, N.D. Community. Donated to the museum by Rose & Lily Benedicton, 5/25/78"--Written on cover of album.
NotesTitle created by staff.
Photographer unknown.
Biography/HistoryThe Vikur Lutheran Church in Mountain, N.D. is the oldest Icelandic church in North America. The first meeting to formally organize the Vikur church Congregation in Mountain was on November 30, 1880. On 10 Mar 1884, plans were made to build the Mountain Church on the lot Séra Páll had donated. The church was 46 feet long by 28 feet wide and was built of oak beams. The construction began that spring and except for the altar, pulpit, pews, and belfry, it was completed at the end of the summer in 1884.
Bibliographic ReferenceInformation from http://www.august2nd.com/html/sera_pall.html
Repository InstitutionPembina County Historical Society
Repository CollectionLily and Rose Benedictson Collection
Credit LinePembina County Historical Society Photograph Collection (PCHS5093)
Rights ManagementCopyright status unknown.
Owned by Pembina County Historical Society.
Ordering InformationPembina County Historical Society
Address: 13572 Hwy 5
Cavalier, N.D. 58220
Phone number: 701-265-4941 or 701-265-4691
Email address: pchsm@polarcomm.com
GrantNHPRC SNAP Grant 2008-2009, NAR08-RC-10021-08
Digital IDdmPCHS5093
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^