Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Northern Dakota Railway Line locomotive engine, Pembina County, N.D.
Northern Dakota Railway Line locomotive engine, Pembina County, N.D.
TitleNorthern Dakota Railway Line locomotive engine, Pembina County, N.D.
Date of Originalbetween 1908-1921
DescriptionView of a train engine with two men sitting on top of the railroad train engine next to the bell, and one man leaning out the train engine window.
General SubjectTransportation
People
Subject (LCTGM)Railroads
Railroad locomotives
People
Railroad employees
Men
Bells
People
LocationConcrete (N.D.)
Mountain (N.D.)
Edinburg (N.D.)
Pembina County (N.D.)
Decade1900-1909
1910-1919
1920-1929
Item NumberPCHS5065
Format of OriginalPhotographic prints
Dimensions of Original21 x 26 cm.
NotesTitle created by staff.
Photographer unknown.
Biography/HistoryNorthern Dakota Railway Company ran between Concrete, N.D. and Edinburg, N.D. from 1908 to 1922. The engine's name was Old Maude. The bell from the engine in the photograph is on display at Pembina County Historical Society.
"The Northern Dakota Railway Line ran from Edinburg to the cement mines west of Concrete, a length of 21 miles. Privately owned, the line was intended to haul the processed concrete from the mines and also to haul farm produce for area farmers. The locomotive, nicknames MAUDE, was purchased used and had originally been engine no. 11 on the St. Paul, Minneapolis and Manitoba railroad, which was the predecessor to the Great Northern and today's Burlington Northern railroad. It was built in 1868 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works. In later years the train only ran during the fall harvest season but despite a conscientious effort by John F. Creiman, the firm's last general manager, the line failed and was dismantled in 1922. ... The entire railroad consisted of the locomotive, the coal tender, two box cars and a combination baggage and passenger car."
Concrete originated in the years of 1907-1908. Cement was discovered nearby and a mine was opened giving Concrete its name and Pembina County its first and only mining town. In 1908, the railroad arrived in Concrete from Edinburg via Mountain. It was called the Mountain Flyer. The mine opened in 1907 and closed in late 1909. Mr. Jens Spangelo contracted and built a large portion of the railroad bed with horses and Mr. Al Hamelstrom was the first railroad engineer. Opening the railroad was in 1908 and the closing in 1918. The tracks were removed in 1921.
The cement plant of the Pembina Portland Cement Co. had been founded in 1899. The Northern Dakota, as the railroad was called, was incorporated on October 7, 1907, and was under construction in May of 1908. The main track was listed as 20.07 miles and 2.36 of branch line track. The entire rolling stock consisted of a locomotive and tender, two box cars and a passenger-baggage car. "Maud" as the locomotive was called was purchased from the Great Northern at Devils Lake, and delivered in October 1908 but by the summer of 1909 the cement mines were out of business. The railroad struggled to keep alive and Concrete was headed for bust. The first test batches of cement were produced in 1899.
Bibliographic ReferenceInformation in quotes from page 25 in Heritage 76, Then and Now, Pembina County, North Dakota, 1776-1976. Published by Pembina County Commissioners and the Pembina County Historical Society, Cavalier, ND in 1975.
Other information from pages 49 and 50 in Pembina County Centennial, North Dakota, 1867-1967, A History of Pembina County. Published in 1967 under Auspices of Pembina Centennial Committee.
Information from page 35 in Heritage '89, Then and Now, Pembina County, North Dakota, 1776-1976. Published by Pembina County Commissioners and the Pembina County Historical Society, Cavalier, ND in 1988.
Repository InstitutionPembina County Historical Society
Repository CollectionPembina County Historical Society Photograph Collection
Credit LinePembina County Historical Society Photograph Collection (PCHS5065)
Rights ManagementCopyright status unknown.
Owned by Pembina County Historical Society.
Ordering InformationPembina County Historical Society
Address: 13572 Hwy 5
Cavalier, N.D. 58220
Phone number: 701-265-4941 or 701-265-4691
Email address: pchsm@polarcomm.com
GrantNHPRC SNAP Grant 2008-2009, NAR08-RC-10021-08
Digital IDdmPCHS5065
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^