Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan up Pan down Pan right Pan left Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
North side of Main Street, looking northwest, Cavalier, N.D.
North side of Main Street, looking northwest, Cavalier, N.D.
TitleNorth side of Main Street, looking northwest, Cavalier, N.D.
Date of Original1903
DescriptionView looking northwest down the north side of Main Street in Cavalier, N.D. On the right is a three storey wooden building that has a sign that says the Jennings House, a Hotel, on the corner of Main Street. Other stores and buildings going from right to left have signs that say, The Big Store, E.R. Pratt Department Store, clothing, groceries, caps, dry goods, boots and shoes; John O'Keefe the Druggist, Drug Store; Bachelor Cigar Druggist; and a sign for Hardware. There is a group of men standing on the sidewalk in front of the Jennings House, and a horse and carriage in the street.
General SubjectCity & Town Life
Rural views
Subject (LCTGM)Streets
Cities & towns
Buildings
Signs (Notices)
Horses
Carriages & coaches
People
Men
Sidewalks
Dirt roads
Utility poles
LocationCavalier (N.D.)
Pembina County (N.D.)
Decade1900-1909
Item NumberPCHS5056
Format of OriginalPhotographic prints
Dimensions of Original21 x 26 cm.
Transcription"Main Street - Looking West, Cavalier, N.D." --Printed under photograph.
"76.1.6"--Accession number on back of photograph.
NotesTitle created by staff.
Photographer unknown.
Biography/HistoryMain Street looking west. Jennings Hotel was located on the northwest corner of Main and Division. There was a three story frame hotel building called the Jennings House run by the Cosgroves. On the ground floor were a lobby, dining room, and kitchen, with guest rooms above. There were no cafes here in the early days. The hotels served three meals a day, seven days a week. Breakfast was hearty western style, the main meal was dinner at noon, and supper about 6 o'clock. Beside the hotel stood the general store mentioned earlier, a frame building whose owners were the McIntosh Brothers, Alex, Zeke, and Dan. ... On Thanksgiving evening, 1928, a fire started in one of the buildings and within a very few hours, both store and hotel were charred ruin.
Bibliographic ReferenceInformation from page 35 and 36 in Cavalier, Voices from the Past & Present. Published by the Northeastern North Dakota Heritage Association in June 2000.
Repository InstitutionPembina County Historical Society
Repository CollectionPembina County Historical Society Photograph Collection
Credit LinePembina County Historical Society Photograph Collection (PCHS5056)
Rights ManagementCopyright status unknown.
Owned by Pembina County Historical Society.
Ordering InformationPembina County Historical Society
Address: 13572 Hwy 5
Cavalier, N.D. 58220
Phone number: 701-265-4941 or 701-265-4691
Email address: pchsm@polarcomm.com
GrantNHPRC SNAP Grant 2008-2009, NAR08-RC-10021-08
Digital IDdmPCHS5056
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^