Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan up Pan down Pan right Pan left Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Hallson Icelandic Lutheran Church, Cavalier, N.D.
Hallson Icelandic Lutheran Church, Cavalier, N.D.
TitleHallson Icelandic Lutheran Church, Cavalier, N.D.
Date of Original197-?
CreatorHillier, Bill
Creator RolePhotographer
DescriptionView of the Hallson Icelandic Lutheran Church that is located in Icelandic State Park, NW of Cavalier, N.D. The church has a decorative steeple over the main entrance on the right. There are stained glass windows visible on the main part of the church. One tree is on the left, with the corner of another builing and a car on the very far left. In the distance are trees.
General SubjectReligion
Subject (LCTGM)Churches
Weather vanes
Steeples
Windows
Trees
Stained glass
Lutheran churches
Organization NameHallson Icelandic Lutheran Church (Cavalier, N.D.)
LocationCavalier (N.D.)
Pembina County (N.D.)
Icelandic State Park (N.D.)
Decade1970-1979
Item NumberPCHS5047
Format of OriginalPhotographic prints
Dimensions of Original13 x 19 cm.
Transcription"Bill Hillier, 06.03.31.1E, Hallson"--Handwritten on back.
NotesTitle created by staff.
Biography/History"The Hallson Church was built in 1897. The land was donated by Johann Hallson, along with the church bell, pastor's chair, altar and financial help. In 1899, the Icelanic Lutheran convention was held at Hallson and the church was dedicated at this time. Johann Hallson died shortly before this great day arrived, and he was buried the same day as the dedication of his church. This church, with its beautiful stained glass windows, after 70 years still stands on the north side of Highway No. 5, 10 miles west of Cavalier in Pembina county."
Icelandic State Park is 4 miles west of Cavalier on Highway 5. This part of North Dakota was settled by Icelandic settlers in the late 1800's. Located on the north shore of Lake Renwick, Icelandic offers many pleasures for park visitors. In 1954, G.B. Gunlogson and his sister, Loa, donated a 200-acre tract to the park for the purpose of establishing a sanctuary for birds, plants and animals. The original Gunlogson homestead is now a museum and plans are under way to establish a pioneer heritage center, by moving and restoring four historic buildings on the site.
Bibliographic ReferenceInformation from page 32 in Pembina County Centennial, North Dakota, 1867-1967, A History of Pembina County. Published in 1967 under Auspices of Pembina Centennial Committee.
Information found in the North Dakota Centennial Blue Book, 1889-1989 on page 539.
Repository InstitutionPembina County Historical Society
Repository CollectionPembina County Historical Society Photograph Collection
Credit LinePembina County Historical Society Photograph Collection (PCHS5047)
Rights ManagementCopyright status unknown.
Owned by Pembina County Historical Society.
Ordering InformationPembina County Historical Society
Address: 13572 Hwy 5
Cavalier, N.D. 58220
Phone number: 701-265-4941 or 701-265-4691
Email address: pchsm@polarcomm.com
GrantNHPRC SNAP Grant 2008-2009, NAR08-RC-10021-08
Digital IDdmPCHS5047
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^