E.P. Wells first office, the James River National Bank, Jamestown, N.D.
|Title||E.P. Wells first office, the James River National Bank, Jamestown, N.D. |
|Date of Original||188-? |
|Creator||Haynes, F. Jay (Frank Jay), 1853-1921|
|Creator Role||Photographer |
|Description||A view of the dirt street corner with the James River Valley Bank on it, and looking down the road on the left. Storefronts and businesses line the road down the left with signs and advertisements. There is a horse and carriage on the far left, and people on the sidewalks in front of the buildings. |
|General Subject||City & Town Life|
|Subject (LCTGM)||Dirt roads|
|Subject (LCSH)||Building, Brick|
|Personal Name||Wells, Edward P. (Edward Payson), 1846-1936|
|Organization Name||James River Valley National Bank (Jamestown, N.D.)|
Stutsman County (N.D.)
|Item Number||ST228 |
|Format of Original||Photographic prints|
|Dimensions of Original||10 x 21 cm. |
|Transcription||"No. 5 1st. Ave. looking South; hand points at E.P. Wells first office, James River National Bank building when first built by E. P. Wells. Note city scales North of building"--Printed on sheet of paper underneath stereograph. |
"Wells first office"--Handwritten on front of photograph.
"Haynes, Fargo"--Printed on the front of the photograph.
|Biography/History||Edward Payson Wells was born November 9, 1847 at Troy, Wisconsin, the son of Rev. Milton and Melissa (Smith) Wells. On March 8, 1871 he married Nellie M. Johnson, the daughter of Joseph S. and Ann (Jewett) Johnson of Minneapolis. They had four children. In 1872 Mr. Wells moved to Milwaukee. In April 1878 Mr. Wells moved to Jamestown, Dakota Territory and founded the land company, Wells-Dickey Company. The next year he began to publish the Northwestern Land Journal. That same year his family moved to Jamestown and he built the first permanent house in Jamestown. In 1881 at its founding, he became president of the James River Valley National Bank which office he retained until 1909. Mr. Wells was involved in many activities including railroad construction, grain, elevators, milling, the James River Navigation Company and political affairs. In 1896 he reorganized and became president of the Russell-Miller Milling Company. In 1899 Mr. Wells left Jamestown and after several years of traveling returned to Minneapolis to reside. He moved the headquarters of the Wells-Dickey and Russell-Miller Milling companies there and continued an active and expanded business career, retiring in 1922. Mr. Wells died October 7, 1936 in Minneapolis and was buried at Lakewood Cemetery. Mrs. Wells died in 1930. |
|Repository Institution||Stutsman County Memorial Museum|
|Repository Collection||Stutsman County Memorial Museum Photographs|
|Credit Line||Stutsman County Memorial Museum, Jamestown, N.D. (ST228) |
|Rights Management||Owned by Stutsman County Memorial Museum. |
|Ordering Information||Stutsman County Memorial Museum |
Address: Box 1002, Jamestown, N.D. 58401
Open: Memorial Day - September, 10am-5pm Weekdays and 1pm-5pm Weekends.
|Grant||NHPRC SNAP Grant 2008-2009, NAR08-RC-10021-08 |
|Digital ID||dmST228 |