Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Smokestack and buildings of Russell Miller Milling Co., Jamestown, N.D.
Smokestack and buildings of Russell Miller Milling Co., Jamestown, N.D.
TitleSmokestack and buildings of Russell Miller Milling Co., Jamestown, N.D.
Date of Original1909
DescriptionA view of a smokestack with a five story mill building and a grain elevator on the right. On the left is a shorter building with smokestacks and smoke.
General SubjectBusiness & Industry
Subject (LCTGM)Flour & meal industry
Buildings
Smokestacks
Smoke
Mills
Industrial facilities
Grain industry
Organization NameRussell-Miller Milling Co. (Jamestown, N.D.)
LocationJamestown (N.D.)
Stutsman County (N.D.)
Decade1900-1909
Item NumberST201
Format of OriginalPhotographic prints
Dimensions of Original25 x 20 cm.
Transcription"Russell Miller Milling Co. 1909 - Loaned by A. H. Baenen Family"--Handwritten on back of photograph.
NotesPhotographer unknown.
Biography/HistoryIn 1879, a milling pioneer named Hiram Walker built a small water-powered mill on the Sheyenne River at Valley City. In 1882, John Russell invited his son-in-law, Arthur Miller, to form a partnership in operating the mill acquired from Walker. In 1886 Russell and Miller took the first step in a series of expansions which would eventually make the company the fourth largest milling firm in the nation. This was the purchase of a second mill at Jamestown, North Dakota. Subsequently, the partnership was incorporated as the Russell & Miller Milling Company. The brand name "Occident" meaning "out of the West" was selected because milling operations were situated in what was then the extreme western area of wheat production. As the company's milling capacity grew, its allied interest progressed. Increased milling meant more need for grain and thus, proper storage facilities. The Russell & Miller Milling Company built its first grain elevators in the years between 1882 and 1892. By 1906 Russell-Miller's capacity was 8,000 hundred-weights (cwts). It had experienced fires both in Jamestown and Valley City, rebuilding those mills and constructing a new mill at Minot, North Dakota. In 1907 the company's headquarters were moved to Minneapolis where it built a major mill to take advantage of the tremendous stock of select wheat. This move further assured the high quality of "Occident" flour.
Bibliographic ReferenceRussel Miller Milling information taken from: http://www.webfamilytree.com/Barnes_County_History/history_of_russell_miller_milling_co_.htm
Repository InstitutionStutsman County Memorial Museum
Repository CollectionStutsman County Memorial Museum Photographs
Credit LineStutsman County Memorial Museum, Jamestown, N.D. (ST201)
Rights ManagementOwned by Stutsman County Memorial Museum.
Ordering InformationStutsman County Memorial Museum
Phone: 701-252-6741
Address: Box 1002, Jamestown, N.D. 58401
Open: Memorial Day - September, 10am-5pm Weekdays and 1pm-5pm Weekends.
GrantNHPRC SNAP Grant 2008-2009, NAR08-RC-10021-08
Digital IDdmST201
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^