Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Alfred E. Dickey, Sr. portrait
Alfred E. Dickey, Sr. portrait
TitleAlfred E. Dickey, Sr. portrait
Date of Original189-?
DescriptionA studio portrait of Alfred E. Dickey Sr. wearing a suit and bowtie.
General SubjectPortraits
People
Subject (LCTGM)Portrait photographs
Suits (Clothing)
Neckties
Mustaches
Personal NameDickey, Alfred, 1846-1901
LocationJamestown (N.D.)
Stutsman County (N.D.)
Decade1880-1889
1890-1899
Item NumberST220
Format of OriginalPhotographic prints
Dimensions of Original35 x 28 cm.
Transcription"Alfred E. Dickey, Sr. Born: 6-10-1846, Died: 1-26-1901, Donor of funds for building of Alfred Dickey Free Library, Jamestown, ND. 67.2"--Printed on card.
NotesPhotographer unknown.
Biography/HistoryIn January of 1901, Alfred Dickey called a meeting to establish a free reading room in Jamestown, North Dakota. Mr. Dickey, being too ill to attend the meeting, was represented by Mr. Smart. Mr. Smart announced that Alfred Dickey would provide furniture, periodicals, and a custodian for the room three nights a week. Sadly, three days after the meeting Alfred Dickey died; however his dream of a library did not. Alfred Dickey's son, Alfred E. Dickey, called the library committee together and assured them he would carry out his father's wishes. The reading room was opened on February 16, 1901, in a room in the Opera House Block. The room was open to the public as a free reading room. For $1 a year a library cardholder could borrow books. In 1908 the city of Jamestown voted to support the library with city taxes and in January 1909 the library was moved to the city hall and the first trained, full-time librarian was hired. Alfred E. Dickey (Jr.) died in 1910. In his will he left $20,000 to the Board of Directors of the library for a new library building. The city was to provide the site. He also left $15,000 as an endowment fund with the interest to be used for the upkeep of the library. The money was invested until a site was found and the sum was large enough to construct a building. In 1917, with contributions from businessmen and city funds, the site for the library was purchased. By 1919 the Alfred Dickey Free Library was in its new home, with approximately 7,000 books. The architect hired to design the new library building, J.A. Shannon, was a student of the Sullivan School of Architect in Chicago. The influence of Louis Sullivan's Egyptian style can be seen in the building.
Repository InstitutionStutsman County Memorial Museum
Repository CollectionStutsman County Memorial Museum Photographs
Credit LineStutsman County Memorial Museum, Jamestown, N.D. (ST220)
Rights ManagementOwned by Stutsman County Memorial Museum.
Ordering InformationStutsman County Memorial Museum
Phone: 701-252-6741
Address: Box 1002, Jamestown, N.D. 58401
Open: Memorial Day - September, 10am-5pm Weekdays and 1pm-5pm Weekends.
GrantNHPRC SNAP Grant 2008-2009, NAR08-RC-10021-08
Digital IDdmST220
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^