Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Presbyterian Church, Wimbledon, N.D.
Presbyterian Church, Wimbledon, N.D.
TitlePresbyterian Church, Wimbledon, N.D.
Date of Originalcirca 1912
DescriptionThe Presbyterian Church in Wimbledon, N.D. The church is a wooden building with a stairway leading up to the doors, various windows and a bell tower.
General SubjectReligion
Subject (LCTGM)Churches
Presbyterian churches
Wooden churches
Bell towers
Stairways
Windows
Steeples
Religious facilities
Organization NamePresbyterian Church (Wimbledon, N.D.)
LocationWimbledon (N.D.)
Decade1910-1919
Item NumberWM-14
Format of OriginalPhotographic prints
Dimensions of Original21 x 16 cm.
Transcription"Presbyterian Church"--Handwritten on front of photograph.
NotesTitle written on front of photograph.
Photographer unknown
Biography/HistoryThe Congregational Church in Wimbledon was organized in July of 1894 and met in the Soo Line depot or the schoolhouse. Because of lack of funds the Congregational Church joined with the Presbyterian and the Presbyterian Church in Wimbledon was built in 1905. In the late 1920s the Presbyterian, German Reform and Methodist Churches all merged because of the small congregations. The Presbyterian Church was remodeled and it was renamed St. John's Church in honor of three prominent men of all of the joined churches; John Huss, a German Martyr, John Knox, founder of the Presbyterian Church, and John Wesley, founder of the Methodist Church.
Bibliographic ReferenceInformation from page 9 of "Wimbledon History: 1893-1968, " by Kathleen Blinsky, and page 70 of "Wimbledon: 100 Years." Published by the Wimbledon Book Committee in 1990.
Repository InstitutionWimbledon Community Museum
Credit LineWimbledon Community Museum (WM-14)
Rights ManagementCopyright status unknown.
Owned by Wimbledon Community Museum.
Ordering InformationWimbledon Community Museum
PO Box 223
Wimbledon, ND 58492
Phone: 701-435-2239
email: ldkoll@daktel.com
GrantNHPRC SNAP Grant 2009-2010 NAR10-RC-10062-09
Digital IDdmWM14
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^