Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
German Reform Church and parsonage, Wimbledon, N.D.
German Reform Church and parsonage, Wimbledon, N.D.
TitleGerman Reform Church and parsonage, Wimbledon, N.D.
Date of Originalcirca 1912
DescriptionA view of the German Reform Church and parsonage in Wimbledon, N.D. The Church in the foreground is a wooden building with a steeple, and various windows. The parsonage is visible in the background. It is a two-story wooden house with a porch.
General SubjectReligion
City & Town Life
Subject (LCTGM)Churches
Religious dwellings
Wooden churches
Wooden buildings
Houses
Steeples
Bell towers
Porches
Windows
Organization NameGerman Reform Church (Wimbledon, N.D.)
LocationWimbledon (N.D.)
Decade1910-1919
Item NumberWM-17
Format of OriginalPhotographic prints
Dimensions of Original21 x 16 cm.
Transcription"German Reform Church"--Handwritten on front of photograph.
NotesTitle created by staff.
Photographer unknown.
Biography/HistoryThe German Reform Church in Wimbledon, organized in 1889, was the first church in the community. The parsonage was later complete in 1906. In the late 1920s the Presbyterian, German Reform and Methodist Churches all merged because of the small congregations. The Presbyterian Church was remodeled and it was renamed St. John's Church in honor of three prominent men of all of the joined churches; John Huss, a German martyr, John Knox, founder of the Presbyterian Church, and John Wesley, founder of the Methodist Church.
Bibliographic ReferenceInformation from page 9 and 10 of "Wimbledon History: 1893-1968, " by Kathleen Blinsky, and page 70 of "Wimbledon: 100 Years." Published by the Wimbledon Book Committee in 1990.
Repository InstitutionWimbledon Community Museum
Credit LineWimbledon Community Museum (WM-17)
Rights ManagementCopyright status unknown.
Owned by Wimbledon Community Museum.
Ordering InformationWimbledon Community Museum
PO Box 223
Wimbledon, ND 58492
Phone: 701-435-2239
email: ldkoll@daktel.com
GrantNHPRC SNAP Grant 2009-2010 NAR10-RC-10062-09
Digital IDdmWM17
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^