Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
St. Luke's Hospital exterior front and side, Fargo, N.D.
St. Luke's Hospital exterior front and side, Fargo, N.D.
TitleSt. Luke's Hospital exterior front and side, Fargo, N.D.
Date of Originalbetween 1913-1920
DescriptionThis image shows the exterior front and side of St. Luke's Hospital, as well as the front of the Nursing School that was located at the back of St. Luke's. The front sidewalk, entrance columns and porch are visible on St. Luke's as well as a chimney, and an exterior staircase. The photograph was taken looking Southeast from North Broadway.
General SubjectHealth & Medicine
Education
Subject (LCTGM)Buildings
Hospitals
Schools
Columns
Stairways
Chimneys
Organization NameSt. Luke's Hospital (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
AddressFargo (N.D.) - 8th Avenue N.
Fargo (N.D.) - Broadway
Decade1910-1919
1920-1929
Item NumberS4975.5135.13
Format of OriginalPhotographic prints
Dimensions of Original28 x 33 cm.
NotesTitle supplied by staff.
Photographer unknown.
Biography/HistoryIn 1905, a group of Fargo, North Dakota physicians, druggists and pastors formed the Lutheran Hospital Association of Fargo for the purpose of planning and building a Lutheran hospital in the community. Construction began in 1907. The hospital, named St. Luke's was dedicated on February 25, 1908 as a 35 bed facility, and included a nursing school. Sister Osa Oppendahl of the Deaconesses from the Norwegian Lutheran Church of Chicago was put in charge of the St. Luke's School of Nursing which was started in 1908. The first class graduated from the School of Nursing in 1910. The first School of Nursing residence, a two-story frame building consisting of 20 rooms plus a bathroom, laundry and full basement was built in 1913. In 1918, a new addition was completed on the east end of the building, doubling the hospital's size. In 1921, the Fargo Clinic opened its doors just north of the hospital. The hospital facility was expanded in 1918 and again in 1946. It continued to expand and by 1986 St. Luke's had become part of the MeritCare Corporation.
Repository InstitutionCass County Historical Society
Repository CollectionCass County Historical Society Photography Collection 2070 (Institute for Regional Studies, NDSU, Fargo)
Credit LineCass County Historical Society, Bonanzaville, West Fargo (S4975, 5135, Box 13)
Ordering Informationhttp://www.bonanzaville.org/main.php,
(701) 282-2822
Cass County Historical Society
1351 West Main Ave.
West Fargo, ND 58078
GrantNHPRC SNAP Grant 2008-2009, NAR08-RC-10021-08
Digital IDdm118
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^