Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
St. Luke's nurses lined up by front steps, Fargo, N.D.
St. Luke's nurses lined up by front steps, Fargo, N.D.
TitleSt. Luke's nurses lined up by front steps, Fargo, N.D.
Date of Originalno earlier than 1910
DescriptionFifteen female nurses lined up holding each other's waists in front of St. Luke's hospital. They are standing on the ground outside in front of the main enterance steps and columns. The last lady on the right is Sister Osa, wearing a black dress.
General SubjectHealth & Medicine
Education
Subject (LCTGM)Nurses
Group portraits
Education
Women
Personal NameKrany, Tillie
Lunden, Benona
Gronlie, Olga
Hagen, Grace
Svenkesen, Ella
Stenseth, Marie
Bredeson, Olga
McDonald, Anna
Olson, Mabel
Oppendahl, Osa
Organization NameSt. Luke's Hospital (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
AddressFargo (N.D.) - 8th Avenue N.
Fargo (N.D.) - Broadway
Decade1910-1919
Item NumberS4975.5135.13
Format of OriginalPhotographic prints
Dimensions of Original26 x 31 cm.
Transcription"R to L, Sister Osa - black dress, Tillie Krany, Benona Lunden, Olga Gronlie, Grace Hagen, Petra ___, Sister Sena, Ella Svenkesen, Miss Gaust, ___ Kranztz, Marie Stenseth, Olga Bredeson, Sister _____, Anna McDonald, Mabel Olson." -- handwritten on back.
NotesTitle supplied by staff.
Photographer unknown.
Biography/HistoryOn February 25, 1908 St. Luke's Hospital opened on North Broadway at Eighth Avenue, Fargo, N.D. Sister Osa Oppendahl of the Deaconesses from the Norwegian Lutheran Church of Chicago was put in charge of the St. Luke's School of Nursing which was started in 1908. The first class graduated from the School of Nursing in 1910. The class consists of three students, Anna McDonald, Hazel Hodgson and Olga Gronley. All had completed one year of training elsewhere before entering St. Luke's program. The first School of Nursing residence, a two-story frame building consisting of 20 rooms plus a bathroom, laundry and full basement was built in 1913. In 1918, a new addition was completed on the east end of the building, doubling the hospital's size. In 1921, the Fargo Clinic opens its doors just north of the hospital.
Repository InstitutionCass County Historical Society
Repository CollectionCass County Historical Society Photography Collection 2070 (Institute for Regional Studies, NDSU, Fargo)
Credit LineCass County Historical Society, Bonanzaville, West Fargo (S4975, 5135, Box 13)
Ordering Informationhttp://www.bonanzaville.org/main.php,
(701) 282-2822
Cass County Historical Society
1351 West Main Ave.
West Fargo, ND 58078
GrantNHPRC SNAP Grant 2008-2009, NAR08-RC-10021-08
Digital IDdm121
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^