Parlor, Churchill Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
|Title||Parlor, Churchill Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College |
|Date of Original||1934-03-29 |
|Description||A group of students seems to be lounging around in one of the parlors on the first floor of Churchill Hall. Other students are reading. |
|Ordering Information||Consult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services |
|General Subject||Colleges & Universities|
Social Life & Customs
|Organization Name||North Dakota State University - Buildings|
Churchill Hall (Fargo, N.D.)
North Dakota State University - Student life
Cass County (N.D.)
|Negative Number||GPN B2209 |
|Format of Original||Glass negatives|
|Dimensions of Original||13 x 18 cm. |
|Publisher of Original||North Dakota Agricultural College (Fargo, N.D.)|
|Place of Publication||Fargo (N.D.)|
|Transcription||"Parlor, men's dormitory" |
Title supplied by staff.
|Biography/History||The construction of Churchill Hall (originally Men's Residence Hall) began in 1927 after its plans and funding were approved by the State Legislature. The dormitory was to house 192 male students and six resident instructors. It would contain approximately 100 rooms measuring 14 by 14 feet with hot and cold running water and two in-a-door beds. The entire structure would be a three-story structure with a basement for recreational purposes (The Spectrum May 27, 1927, p. 1).|
The College invested $20, 000 in the basement and sewer/water system when construction was halted due the North Dakota State Supreme Court declaring the Hamilton-Schlosser Bill unconstitutional. The Bill "provided for the formation of Holding companies at [educational] institutions. This would make it possible to raise money by selling bonds" (College and State, no date, p. 8).
With the funding suspended, the College waited while the State Legislature found another means of fund raising. The result was the Hamilton-Fowler Act. At this point, completion of the residence building was still in question as the State Supreme Court debated whether or not the Act was constitutional. The Hamilton-Fowler Act received the Court's approval and the College selected Wells-Dickey & Co. as the holding committee for a $200, 000 bond sale (College and State, February 1930, p. 12 and College and State, October 1930, p. 16).
The completed structure had two wings measuring 37 by 56 feet and 52 by 56 with the main section measuring 196 by 36 feet. Students moved in before the start of school in 1930, but the building still had no name. This did not deter students who called the building a "real home" and thought it to be "well equipped" with the "most modern accommodations" (NDAC Catalog 1931-1932, p. 29 and College and State, October 30, 1930, p. 29).
The modern accommodations were increased in 1939 when the Bachelor Kitchens were added to the basement. The use of the kitchens saved the male students, who used them, $17, 000 on regular school expenses (The Spectrum August 25, 1939, p. 1).
In 1957, the Men's Residence Hall changed its name to Churchill Hall in honor of Omar O. Churchill who was a member of the School of Agriculture staff from 1904 to 1950. He served as dean of the School of Agriculture for two years and assisted President Shepperd with organizing the North Dakota Experimental Union (Beacon Across the Prairie, pp. 40, 52, 201).
Over the years, Churchill Hall has undergone several changes. In 1961 mailboxes and a telephone buzzer system were installed. The buzzer system alerted students to incoming calls and the student would then pick up the phone located on his floor. In 1969-1970, $25, 000 was appropriated to provide an additional twenty rooms, rest rooms and a recreational area.
Today Churchill Hall is still in use as a men's dormitory.
|Repository Institution||North Dakota State University Libraries, University Archives|
|Repository Collection||NDSU University Archives Glass Negative Collection|
|Credit Line||University Archives, NDSU, Fargo (GPN B2209) |
|Rights Management||Copyright held by the University Archives. |
|Digital ID||ua000555 |
|Original Source||glass negative |