Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Old Main, North Dakota Agricultural College
Old Main, North Dakota Agricultural College
TitleOld Main, North Dakota Agricultural College
Date of Original1926-09-22
DescriptionA close shot of Old Main, focusing on the main entrance stairs to the building. A door for the college post office is to the right and below the stairs. To the left of the stairs is a wooden bulletin board and a mailbox. The walks to the main entrance do not appear to be paved, rather hardened dirt. Ivy or some type of plant is growing up the building.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectColleges & Universities
Subject (LCTGM)Buildings
Windows
Stairways
Mailboxes
Bulletin boards
Doors & doorways
Chimneys
Plants
Trails & paths
Organization NameNorth Dakota State University - Buildings
Old Main (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
Decade1920-1929
Negative NumberGPN7619
Format of OriginalGlass negatives
Dimensions of Original18 x 13 cm.
Publisher of OriginalNorth Dakota Agricultural College (Fargo, N.D.)
Place of PublicationFargo (N.D.)
Transcription"Entrance Main Bldg."
NotesPhotographer unknown.
Title supplied by staff.
Biography/HistoryThe first permanent building on the North Dakota Agricultural College (NDAC) campus was College Hall, also called the Administration Building, but more commonly known as Old Main. In February 1891, the North Dakota State Legislature appropriated $25, 000 to erect the structure. The cornerstone was laid in 1891 and tradition has it that at the dedication no flag was available, so a student made a makeshift pennant with a pair of overalls (Bison 1950, pp.15-16). Construction of the lower levels were completed by the end of 1891 and on January 3, 1892, the institution opened its regular work in its permanent home, and enrolled 123 students for the term (First Biennial Report of the Board of Directors, 1891-1892, p. 6). An additional $3, 000 was appropriated in the next legislative session to complete the building and by the summer of 1893, it was considered completed.
Architectural Information: "Richardson Romanesque; 2 1/2 stories with raised basement; buff brick with base and trim of Duluth brownstone; clock tower/turret at the southeast corner; recessed triple-arched main entrance arcade facing south. Hancock Brothers, architects." (National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form, Summer 1982, p.3)
External ResourceSee also NDSU Archives Building History web site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ndsu-university-archives/collections/72157624385769264/
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, University Archives
Repository CollectionNDSU University Archives Glass Negative Collection
Credit LineUniversity Archives, NDSU, Fargo (GPN 7619)
Rights ManagementCopyright held by the University Archives.
Languageeng
Digital IDua000298
Original Sourceglass negative
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^