Forman is the county seat of Sargent County. The courthouse was built in 1910 and was added in the National Registry of Historical Places in 1980. It was designed in the Beaux Arts style by the architects Buechner & Orth. In 1997, Sargent County commissioned renowned artist Del Iron Cloud to recreate the murals on the ceiling of the rotunda dome in the courthouse. There are four separate painting depicting various themes of Sargent County's history. These paintings are visual reminders of the county's history and well worth a stop at the courthouse to view them. In the spring of 1879 a government survey party led by E. H. Antwerp came into the county at a point, which is now called the Sisseton Hills. At that time there were no white settlers, by the next year some white people, mostly Norwegians and Germans had come into the area and staked claims. From 1880 to 1890 most of the pioneers moved into the county following the building of the Soo, Great Northern and Northern Pacific railroads. Sargent County was created from the southern half of Ransom County, and named in honor of H. E. Sargent, who was an official of the Northern Pacific Railroad. The railroad built its line into Milnor in 1883, across the county and into Oakes by 1900. On July 16, 1883 Territorial Governor Ordway appointed the first commissioners and designated Milnor as the county seat. The following year the first county election was held and Forman was chosen as the county seat. In 1920 the county's population peaked at 9,655.