A group of men at the ground breaking ceremony for new Bismarck Junior College campus on Schafer Heights. All of the men are in suits and ties. One man is standing at a podium with a microphone and appears to be leading a prayer as all of the other men are holding their hats and their heads are bowed. An American flag is also visible.
Bismarck Junior College was originally located on the 3rd floor of Bismarck High School (1939-spring 1955). The new general purpose building made it the only junior college located on capitol grounds. It was assumed it would remain near the capitol, but due to a rising student population it was later moved to its current location in 1960. The land for the campus was donated by Harold Schafer, giving it the name Schafer Heights. This photograph was collected by Herb Schimmelpfenning who was an administrator at the college. He left the collection with the college and it was discovered after his death.