The North Dakota State Historical Records Advisory Board was awarded a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission in 2008 and again in 2009 to scan 100 images from each of ten historical societies, libraries, and museums around the state. The images were added to Digital Horizons in a sub-collection called Dakota Mosaic. The images are branded along the bottom edge indicating which organization owns them. Contact information for each organization is provided for inquiries or to request copies.
Dakota Mosaic is intended to promote the awareness of historical repositories across North Dakota and make available online unique materials unknown outside the local area.
To date, participating institutions in Dakota Mosaic are:
Please be advised that many of the institutions in the Dakota Mosaic collection are only staffed from May to September, and any orders placed with a Dakota Mosaic institution may take 6 weeks or longer to fill. Contact information for the Dakota Mosaic institutions may be found in the Ordering Information field of each Dakota Mosaic record.
The following criteria are used in selection of images to be digitized:
- The organization must hold property rights to the items to be digitized and the right to make them available to the public
- Descriptive information about the images must be available
- Images must relate to North Dakota or Dakota Territory
- Images should document a wide variety of activities, events, scenes, people, built environment, etc.
- Images must be unique, i.e. not already in Digital Horizons database or Chester Fritz Library Digital Collections database
- Images should be of good quality, in focus and with sharp contrast
- Images must have historic significance
- Items can include written documents, sound recordings, moving images, photographic prints, maps and sheet music
State Historical Society of North Dakota
612 E. Boulevard Avenue
Bismarck, ND 58505